Sunday 1 July 2012

Afternoon tea @ The Parlour, Hullett House


This review is more or less a piece of 倉底貨 because it was about my visit to The Parlour 3 years ago. From its position in the warehouse you can already tell how enthusiastic I was about the tea set. When I dropped by Hullett House last weekend, I was quite surprised to know that the same tea set was still being served at The Parlour.



But maybe there really is no need for them to do anything about the tea set. Given the popularity of Heritage 1881 among tourists from Mainland China, I don't think they have to worry about their business at all. 



Indeed, everyone who walk past the Parlour will fall in love with this alluring place instantly - you've got to admit that "east meets west" and "modern meets antique" are foolproof interior design formulae. 



Enchanting... 



Even the menu shares the exotic oriental charm... 



Finally, the tea set - clotted cream and homemade jam, scones, allegedly "delicate cakes and sinful pastries"



Selection of finger sandwiches


You may think I am going to write long paragraphs to bitch about the tea set. But I am not, because it wasn't worth my time - we had already wasted money on it! Most of the food was bland, some didn't taste quite right, and there's not even a single item that we enjoyed. Somehow I hope the food was appalling rather than plain bad, for I would have more to write about now... 


THE VERDICT
Ambience: A
Service: B+
Food: C
Overall remarks: The Parlour is sadly another glamorous restaurant that has little substance. The fact that we have never considered revisiting it for tea says it all. Not recommended.


INFO
The Parlour (website)
Hullett House, 2A Canton Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Afternoon tea: 2:30-5:30pm
$238 per person, $398 per 2 persons


No comments:

Post a Comment